Monday 9 July 2012

Abbey Medieval Festival


Lords and ladies,
My good sir and I have spent the last few days attending The Abbey Medieval Festival, in Caloundra. It was an amazing celebration of all things Medieval, held annually during the first week in July, this award winning event is the biggest Medieval Festival and Jousting Tournament in Australia. 

To be honest - being a Festival Virgin (aka my first time in attendance) I wasn't sure what to expect, yet I joined in with the rest of the family in wearing medieval attire and enjoyed myself immensely.  

The week long festival started with a Kids Day where my youngest squires attended archery workshops, practiced spinning wool and marvelled at the weaponry on show. For the more genteel folk there was gypsy dancing classes, crown decorating, fencing classes and heaps of other activities for the children to participate in. 

The weekend festival was certainly the highlight of the week, the public is free to wander the bustling marketplace (I spotted some gorgeous silver jewellery and medieval fashions for sale) and it was so easy to lose ourselves amongst the colourful tents of the medieval re-enactors’ encampments where campfires certainly warmed up a rather overcast day. Turkish Oil Wrestlers, colourful dancers, Viking raiders, nobles and peasants wandered the grounds inviting spectators to participate in a wide range of events.

Here are a few photos we took over the weekend.  Hope you like them…



Kids Day Activity

Do they come in a smaller size ?







No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin